Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Twine


Twine is social bookmarking and recommendations. Different visual look from StumbleUpon and similar sites but the idea is the same. I wonder if it fills up my email box like those others with recommendations? I am not willing to find out. I don't bookmark either.

For people who do bookmark and who do want recommendations from friends, the combination and visual appeal might be what the doctor ordered. If that is the case with you, don't mind my sour attitude on the subject.

Why bookmark? So you don't have your screen cluttered with wall-to-wall icons. I have seen people like that and I have to wonder if they are not constantly hitting an icon by mistake and disrupting their work. Icons and bookmarks are both hyperlinks so bookmarking may may sense for those who like a blank (or at least uncluttered) screen.

Recommends are a matter of whether you are seeking a non-medical second opinion. Perhaps you want to hear the pros and cons of a given matter before you make up your mind. Then you want a recommend site.

This is both.

Twine --

http://www.twine.com/


Instant Re-review:


After writing the above sour notes and observations, I went back and explored Twine a little. Squidoo it's not (I think there is a more severe limit to customization) but you can fiddle with it a little. Emphasis on little. On second look, the site could reflect your interest and link you to similar thing. On third look, it is all links and appears more and more an empty matrix of synapses and switches (depending on whether you want comparison to a human brain or an electronic brain). This is doubtless what they had in mind because you can see it reflected in the Twine logo.
According to Wikipedia: Twine combines features of forums, wikis, online databases and newsgroups[2] and employs intelligent software to automatically mine and store data relationships[3] expressed using RDF statements. Twine services information storage, authoring and discovery through its website and browser-based tools.
Forums can have echoes when they are inactive and lonely. Wikis are reference tools that I use. Online database? Not like Lexis or Nexis. I have never been in or used a Usenet Newsgroup. If one matched my interest, I'd look over newsgroups. We all know what browsers are. I still stand by my original review. Useful but no big whoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment